Monday, March 26, 2012

Mel's Memories and Meandering for 3-26-2012


Greetings family and friends,

I cannot tell a lie! I have to admit that I love this warm weather we are having in March. I could not have imagined 80 degree days this time of year, but we are having them. The redbuds and dogwood trees are in bloom, along with some of the fruit trees. The magnolias are magnificent this year with their pink blossoms dripping like old Spanish moss from great southern oaks. The bright yellow forsythia bushes look like liquid honey they are so filled with blooms. While the colors of the tulips remind me of the skirts of a southern belle bouncing in the wind as if they are gaily stepping to the music of a Virginia reel. At night I hear the peepers croaking out a tune as if to warn the night bugs that they are hungry and off in the distance an owl hoots as if to ask “Who is still up at this late hour?” “Oh it is only I, is my reply while I stand on my front porch and drink in Mother Nature like a vintage wine from the royal table.

Life is good on my grandpa’s farm here in southern Indiana. The fire pit in my parents’ back yard is beginning to beckon to me. It is whispering that it is time to gather my family for a backyard weenie roast.  Hot dogs roasting on wooden sticks that grandpa cuts from his trees, baked beans, chips and of course S’mores to end the evening. We will talk of old memories and make future plans that too will one day become campfire memories to share. The youngsters will run and play trying to catch the fire flies while all the time giggling in delight. Eventually even they run out of steam and begin to draw closer to the circle of parents and grandparents seated around the fire.

Many times we will make a big pot of homemade Vegetable soup on the open fire. Grandma will bring out one of her big soup pots and we will fill it with beef and vegetables and let it simmer on the open fire for a few hours.  If it isn’t vegetable soup it might be chili soup or beans when the weather turns cooler or in summer a simmering pot of fresh corn on the cob that has been pulled from the garden. Lucky for us Grandpa’s garden is close by the shelter house and fire pit.

Sometimes I try to recreate that wonderful sense of family by making a pot of homemade vegetable soup. My problem is that when I try to make a small amount it never seems to work. That is until I finally figured out what I was doing wrong. I was buying canned vegetables opening them up and dumping the entire can into the soup. By the time I added the peas, corn, green beans, tomatoes, etc. I had way too much soup for one person. Now what I do is when our local grocery has frozen vegetables on sale I stock up on them. Now all I have to do is open up the bag of frozen vegetables take out ½ a cup and using a twist tie reclose the bag for later use. Instead of buying a large roast I will buy some stew beef, or I sometimes just use ground chuck. And instead of buying those big cans of tomato juice to pour into your soup, I buy the plastic bottles with the screw on lids. I pour out what I need, recap the bottle and put it away in the fridge for other uses. Another benefit from using the frozen vegetables is you are not getting all of the extra sodium that is used when the vegetables are canned. This way you can season your soup the way you want it to taste. And if you don’t want to have leftovers for a few nights you can actually buy a vegetable soup mix in the freezer section. This way you can add as many or as little as you want to your soup.

If you are trying to control your sodium go for the fresh vegetables or the frozen ones. Just the other day at the grocery I looked at a can of salt free corn and the can was almost $1.50 for that one can of corn. When I went to the freezer section I was able to get a 1 lb bag of frozen corn for $1.00. If you have a Dollar Tree store in your neighborhood by all means check it out. They have a freezer section in the back of the store and they carry the one pound bags of name brand frozen vegetables. They also have some very tasty frozen fruit that can be used to make some great smoothies for the family or to bake up a special dessert.  Besides everything in the store is a dollar and you can’t go wrong with the cost compared to some of the local super markets.

Recently my niece was telling me about a recycle program she started at her children’s school. The collection program she works with is called “Terracycle” and you can look them up on the net. Their school has collected enough items to be able to provide fresh drinking water and live stock to families in third world countries. You would be surprised what you can recycle, chip bags, the little plastic wrappers off of cheese singles, the plastic trays that come with your cookies or the plastic used to wrap your bathroom tissue. Every day we throw away so much without even stopping to think of how it is destroying our eco-system. If we continue the way we are than we too will one day be like the third world countries searching for clean drinking water. Remember all of these items are synthetic and have been created somewhere in a science lab.

This week I am going to encourage you to look on the internet for a recipe for a vegetable that you and your family have not tried. To help look for a recipe that has a lot of really good reviews. Write or print out the recipe and take it with you to the grocery and let your children help gather the ingredients. Once you have everything at home let the children help you make this dish. Let them get involved in what they eat and they are more likely to eat something they have helped to make. I have recently gotten on this kick of buying fresh zucchini. I slice the zucchini thin and sprinkle it with salt and pepper then I sauté it in a pan with a little olive oil, a pat of butter and some fresh minced garlic. Once the zucchini is fork tender I serve it with a sprinkle of grated parmesan cheese. You might even try making a vegetable pizza with your family. You will be amazed at what you can put on that pizza pie. Besides everything taste good when it is smothered in hot gooey cheese.

Melanie

No comments:

Post a Comment